Monday 17 September 2012

Lord of the Rings Online: Mines of Moria Part I


After having played LOTRO: Shadows of Angmar for almost a year, all of us lotro players waited impatiently for the first expansion: The Mines of Moria. We did not have to wait long because it was released in 2008 and it was an enormous expansion, the biggest still since then. But was it necessary? Did it have to be this big? Was it good? Was it bad? How was it received by us?

In this post I will stick to what the expansion brought to the game in technical aspects of game-play in order to keep it short. I will further review the content in the next post so both are easy reads for those who are interested.

MoM (Mines of Moria) Included not just a huge area map but also new classes, new skills, new levels. The level cap of the characters was raised from 50 to 60. That’s at least 5 new or improved skills for each class.
Two new classes were introduced to the game:

No its not the atomic table :)
1-Warden: Javelin and spear wielders. This class is considered to be a medium armor wearing tank or dps. I had given it a go for a short while. The class works on a gambit system which functions like this: By using specific skills in specific and various orders you reach certain gambit skills in each fight. The trouble is…you do not see those skills that you reach so you have to write them down and stick it on your screen to remember all those combinations which makes the class extremely alt unfriendly. If you play a warden you have to stick to it because you will never remember the combinations if you ever give it up. I suppose they were just taking their first steps into making the game highly alt unfriendly in creating this class. I hear from Warden players that it is a very powerful and stout class and very tough to beat if you take the trouble…but hey I am going to be honest here: I am not that smart to remember all those combinations when I play on one of my other mains. Besides…it’s a game. Why should I take the trouble?
Behold the power of thy brick! :)

2- Rune Keeper: Or Brick Holders as the lore fans condescendingly call them. I can’t argue with them because they do have a very valid point in this class's having nothing to do with the Lore. But my rune-keeper was fun to play with. It’s a light armour wearing healing or dps class. Great damage, great healing and a very nice system of play to boot. Does it fit the lore of Tolkien though? Bah no way. Still I cannot call a rune keeper a bad addition to the game.





A new legendary system was the other huge, game changing addition in MoM. One which looked so very interesting at first but started to get on my nerves as the level caps were increased and new features were added to them all done in the worst way possible. But we will get there. As for now let’s stick to how it was introduced in MoM.

The idea of a legendary weapon and item was class specific.  It sounds interesting doesn’t it? Well IT’S NOT. Because in theory it is a very nice addition but in practice it is not. We were also so excited and thought it such a great idea at first. The legendary weapon or item you attained had –and still has- legacies that improved each class. How though? By throwing a bunch of skill enhancements, some useful, some completely useless, into the weapon and adding points to those legacies as you levelled your weapon or your item together with your toon. They could be levelled up to 60, the first thirty levels (in every ten levels which means 3 times) revealing new legacies and the last 30 improving the legacies already on it. Each legacy has a tier too up to 6 so not only do you need the right legacies you also need to find those pretty legacies on high tiers too unless you want to go through with an awful lot of psychopathic and if I may add obsessive grinding. You could also add relics to it but in order to add better relics you had to also improve the relics by deconstructing high level legendary weapons on and on and on and the number of the weapons you had to deconstruct was something completely insane to get the really good relics to add. There were three kinds of legendaries: 3rd Age aka bad dps good legacies (since they are easy to come by, you beat the odds because of the quantity not quality), 2nd Age aka “nice dps but how the hell am I going to find the nice legacies I got on my 3rd age?” and 1st age aka “Did I do those stupid turtle runs to find these legacies?”

 So as we progressed and sought for heaven knows how long for the right legacies in right tiers on each weapon, on each item for each class that we owned, grind grind grind to get better relics for a weapon which will only be replaced by a new one whether or not you want to as you level up, we started to feel annoyed. It took me about 2 years to finally get to this point: “Sod your legendary weapons!”

Besides this legendary system threw weapon crafters completely off because you see even if you do craft them you do not know the legacies on it until you identify the item so you either sell them cheap unidentified or identify them in hopes of getting something good (which you rarely do) and if not vendor for a funny price. Are you kidding me? When I look back on the introduction of legendary weapons and items I can understand my first excitement over it. But now that I know better…it was the beginning of the end. Sooner or later this new system drove many friends of mine off the game. In due time the developers tried to better it but in their own twisted way of endless grinding yet again. That’s for another post though.

One really good thing they came up with was the new system class traits all categorized for specific roles that your class might play in a fellowship or a raid. Each class now had 3 categories of class traits. Let’s give an example here:

Take the Guardian: Main role tank and minor role solo low-ish-dps with overpower stance. Guardian received 3 main categories of traits:

 

1-The fighter of Shadow
2- The Defender of the Free
3- The Keen Blade


 Each of these categories supported a different aspect of the Guardian class. Say for example The Keen Blade supported the overpower stance for more dps during solo whereas the Defender of the Free boosted the agro grabbing skills hence making the Guard a true tank in a fellowship. Each category has got a number of traits you can equip on a character and the more you equip from one category the more bonus you get as a result. This was –and still is- a nice system. Credit where its due...

That wraps up the main technical aspects of MoM I think. In the next post I will try to review the content of the expansion. It will be a relatively positive post because lotro always releases nice contents, lovely and/or impressive landscapes, positively interesting stories, good designs as opposed to a destroyed game-play experience with every expansion coming out...So stay tuned for a more optimistic post on the content of MoM :)
 

10 comments:

  1. oufff Moria! Why do you have to remind us of this place?
    Yes, we were VERY excited all of us before the release, but later on I believe everybody was very tired of it. Very big, very confusing, very dark, very tiring in general.
    As for the 2 new classes, I didn't like any of them.
    The Legendary system looked great at start, but only at the start!
    I don't know, the fact that most of my alts stopped exactly before they had to enter Moria, says a lot I think...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I will come to the darkness of Moria in the next post about the content :) LOL sorry for reminding you of that place :)) But I couldnt write on about the expansions without having to write about Moria just as we unfortunately can not skip it in-game for our levelling :P

      Delete
  2. I hate this place....I HATE IT!!!! but I will save those comments for your next posting about the content of Moria...

    As for the technical aspects, I agree with you, after this release, it was the begining of the end. Did they have to make a map so big??? no....I still have not visited all the places in Moria and I have 9 characters....with no intentions. Did they have to make the level cap from 50-60?? No....why not release half of Moria and raise the cap to 55, and then maybe a few months later, release the next section of Moria with an additional 5 levels on the cap? I would have preferred that. As for the legendary system, don;t get me started. This for me, like many others, looked good on paper, but in practice it was possibly one of the worst things that was introduced into the game. There is no problems in keeping players actively seeking better weapons, but why make it so difficult?? Why leave it down to chance?? A few players get lucky and sing and dance there way to happier times, but what of the rest of us who never cut a break eh?? And I know they tried to address some of these issues by making it possible to "alter" your legendaries, but this was a little token gesture to try and pass of a huge mistake.

    My hat is off to anyone who wants to endlessly grind their life away in order to keep up to date with the legacies on their items...for me...*YAWNS*....I got better things to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did make it possible to alter the legacies alright but how? By grinding empowerment scrolls through skirmishes or better yet purchase them with your real money from the store...OH, I will just get there...I will get there...

      And today I read an article about the mounts, there is a trait tree and I saw some sort of a gambit icon on one of the screen shots... Apparently there are three types of mounts.I approach everything they make sceptically now and all I can imagine is that this new mounted combat will be nothing but another pain in the arse and another way for Turbine to introduce yet more grinding... Turbine and Warner Bros Games should write a handbook titled: " How to systematically destroy a perfectly nice game."

      Delete
    2. Well, here is the deal: WB and Turbine are companies. And as any other company in the world they have one purpose: TO MAKE MONEY!
      Since Lotro had many financial problems as far as I know, they decided to make it "Free to Play" and became filthy rich!
      Now many games are trying the same model. Star Wars for example...
      Yes, surely the destroyed the game I agree. But do they really care? They care for whom? All of us that once upon a time gave 100 euro and play for free all these years? Or for all these new players that came into the game and spending their beautiful money in order to buy all these "almost free" content? Hmmm I guess you know the answer!
      So, in the next expansion be sure that there will be many stuff that will try to push you to buy store points in order to buy some goodies!
      There is nothing wrong in that. It's just their policy. If you like it and you agree you continue. If not.. well there are hundreds of games out there!

      Delete
    3. Of course they have to make money for the game to continue but as a consumer we have to get our money's worth. Not endless grinding. If you want to make people keep playing then you have to come up with good ideas not make the game more boring.Why the designs and stories are always top notch but the game-play gets suckier and suckier? In my honest and not so humble opinion the game-play developers either should wake up and see the loyal players running away for their lives to other games or keep doing what they do at the moment which is this:
      Keep the player grinding, make the game alt unfriendly. It doesn’t matter if the game gets boring as long as somebody keeps playing it. Loyal players? Who are they? We want new money.
      The game will not shut down or bankrupt with this philosophy but nor will you hold onto the players for long. LOTRO is already an old game in technology. What will you do, when there is no interest in it anymore and you get no new players because its rusty and old and more importantly, BORING!? Like it or leave is the worst policy that a company could possibly adopt and supporting this philosophy as a consumer is a close second...

      Delete
    4. I'm not supporting this philosophy!
      I'm just saying what I have seen from this company so far.
      From the moment that the game was sold to Warner Bros everything changed. And mainly the philosophy and the approach to the game. Am I wrong here?
      Yes I agree that they made it more and more boring and alt unfriendly. And that's why I will buy the new expansion with the free store points I have collected all these months. I'm not gonna give them not even 1 euro! Unless they prove that they want to make this game better. But I don't think so...

      Delete
    5. Thank you; agreed fully. I doubt things will change hence I did not preorder an expansion for the first time nor do I intend to in the upcoming expansions, as you said, for as long as I see lotro going tumbling downhill in corporate policies.

      Delete
  3. I have to hand it to Turbine and WB, they have done exactly what they meant to do, nothing more than to make money. Lets face it guys, we, the loyal players who are running for their lives, are in the minority. How do I know this? Cause the game still stands, people are still putting their money into it. No company would carry on like this if they were not. Now, I am begining to wonder about the future of the game...I am wondering if Frodo will ever get to Mount Doom with the way things are going. Lotro is getting old, and the developers seem so caught up in making sure that there is enough money for their wages at the end of the month, that gameplay, development and technology seem to be left behind somewhat. Games like SWTOR will being to emerge and take over. Perhaps they will realise this and throw out a very hap-hazzard expansions quickly concluding the journey to Mordor, who knows...to be honest, I won't lose any sleep over it, maybe just a few turbine points :)))

    Here's an interesting point....Apple have been critiscised as not being as visionary as they were under the late Steve Jobs, and sales have proved it. Competitors are starting to take over their sales figures for the first time in years....perhaps Turbine/WB should learn from the biggest ever company the world has ever known....admit to making mistakes and then do something about it. Doubt it though....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two years ago I would lost sleep over it a lot, a year ago I would have been sad, now lotro to me is means of quality rp and nothing more so I would just be a little down. 2014 is not far away when supposedly they will conclude the game. I am guessing till then they will squeeze as much money as they can from the players to make as much profit as they possibly could before saying goodbye. Well I wont be spending money on lotro any longer I got enough turbine points stashed to purchase the expansions without having to pay band I will see the end of Frodo's journey. Meanwhile I keep on writing here my reviews of the expansions and reminisce the good old times and track how step by steo it was ruined.

    ReplyDelete